The Birmingham School of Media has teamed up with local music organisation and AHRC KTF partner Capsule and Invisible Records in order to bring legendary drummer/producer/author/label owner Martin Atkins to Birmingham.
Martin was a member of Public Image Ltd and Killing Joke. He founded industrial supergroups Pigface, The Damage Manual, and Murder Inc., and has played drums for Nine Inch Nails and Ministry. He is the owner of Invisible Records and Mattress Factory Recording Studios (est. 1988) in Chicago. He is the author of the book Tour:Smart and Break the Band, a Suicide Girls columnist, and a full time lecturer at Columbia College in Chicago. Martin Atkins is a producer, drummer, documentary filmmaker, DJ, and father of four. Whatever the future of music is, you can pretty much bet that he’ll be in the middle of it.
Martin wrote his book Tour:Smart in 2007, and has since spoken around the country and around the world, at the Midi Institute in China, NAMM, SXSW, CMJ, NYU, USC, Drumtech in London, By:Larm in Oslo, and many other places, doing Tour:Smart seminars.
About the Tour:Smart Seminar
A distillation of Martin’s 30+ years in the music business, the book and Martin’s Tour:Smart presentation contains not only valuable insight into his methods, but an unusually candid discussion of mistakes and failures. It covers routing strategies, strategies to sustain a career, sponsorships, geography, guerilla marketing and entrepreneurial activity in the music industry.
He is on the road in 2009 in support of Tour:Smart, hosting FREE D.I.Y. summits worldwide.
Sunday, 31 May 2009 – Birmingham
5:00pm Free Tour:Smart DIY Summit at Hare & Hounds
(106 High Street, Kings Heath, Birmingham, B14 7JZ)
Register online: www.toursmarthareandhounds.eventbrite.com
Here’s what some *folks have been saying* about Tour:Smart:
- “Four Stars! The ultimate touring manual. Tackles every conceivable aspect of getting the show on the road in a highly readable style.” Kris Needs – MOJO Magazine
- “Finally, a book that’s the real f***ing story and not some fairy tale.” Jim Cuomo – President, Ryko Distribution
- “Should be in the car, van, or bus of anyone trying to make it.” Trevor Fischer – Illinois Entertainer Magazine
- “Best speaker on the planet.” Paul Natkin, Chicago Music Commission
- “Attention Rock Bands – this is your owner’s manual!” Joel Selvin – Senior pop critic, San Fransisco Chronicle
- “Tour:Smart and Martin Atkins probably just saved my band’s life.” Tristan James, Proletariat Productions